Display Energy Certificate (DEC)
Display Energy Certificates are now required for Public Buildings >500m2. DECs are designed to promote the improvement of the energy performance of public buildings. Display Energy Certificates (DEC) provide a benchmark rating on your building’s energy use by comparison to other similar types of buildings. They raise public awareness and inform visitors to public buildings about the energy use of the building – an energy rating of the building from A to G is displayed on the certificate.
- All public buildings of 1,000m2 or more occupied by a public authority or an institution that provides public services are required to show the actual energy usage of the building.
- DECs for buildings of 1000m2 are valid for 12 months and must be updated annually.
- All public buildings of 500m2 or more occupied by a public authority or an institution that provides public services are required to show the actual energy usage of the building.
- DECs for buildings of 500m2 are valid for 10 years and must be updated every 10 years.
Public buildings have to be assessed for their efficiency through the display energy certificate system. These certificates are to be positioned in a prominent position within the building for all visitors to see
- A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) gives information about the energy usage of a building that is accessed frequently and regularly by the public.
- Your building will receive an Operational Rating (OR) which relates to its energy usage and CO2 emissions over a period of 12 months.
- This rating translates to a building category from A to G, with A being the best performing and G being the worst.
- Along with the DEC you get an advisory report showing how you can improve and reduce your buildings energy usage.This may include improved glazing, changes to lighting, heating and air conditioning systems, etc.
The A3 sized certificate is valid for one year (>1000m2) and is accompanied by an Advisory Report (AR) which is valid for seven years. The advisory report is designed to help building owners /occupiers to improve the energy efficiency of their buildings so that any future DECs, show a better ratings. ARs do not need to be displayed, but must be available. DEC >500m2 The A3 sized certificate is valid for ten years (>500m2) and is accompanied by an Advisory Report (AR) which is also valid for ten years.The penalties for failing to display a DEC where required is currently set at £500 and the penalties for not having an advisory report available is currently set at £1,000.